Gain an understanding of not-for-profit organization tax issues and discover the information you need to know to prepare the current Form 990. This course will cover the numerous tax reporting demands the 990 imposes, including how to respond to its inquiries. You will gain the tax knowledge necessary to both properly complete the Form 990 and advise exempt clients on the form’s complexities and demands.
- Learn the current federal tax reporting requirements nonprofits face
- Discover the best ways to respond to disclosures required by the Forms' instructions
- Data gathering utilizing various aspects beyond finance office, including governance, donor relations and program staff
- Work with sample return and case study examples to learn basic preparation techniques
When you complete this course, you will be able to:
- Identify which organizations must file returns and which are exempt.
- Understand where to file returns, due dates, and amending returns.
- Interpret the basics of accounting methods to be used on tax-exempt returns.
- Prepare and use Forms 990, 990-EZ, and related schedules.
Advanced Preparation: None